Getty Multicultural Internships
June 13 – August 19, 2011
Through the generosity of the Getty Grant Program, the Gallery will be offering THREE paid, full-time, 10-week summer multicultural internships. These internships are “intended for members of groups underrepresented in the professions related to museums and the visual arts, particularly individuals of African American, Asian, Latino-Hispanic, and Pacific Islander descent.”
For more information about the Getty internship, please see the Getty’s website.
- currently enrolled undergraduate student and have completed at least one semester of college by June 2011, OR will complete their undergraduate degree by September 1, 2011
- be a resident of OR attend college in Los Angeles County
- be a United States citizen or a permanent resident
Students who have already served as Getty interns at Scripps are NOT eligible.
Stipend $3,500 for 10 weeks
This is gross salary; taxes will be taken out. Interns are subject to Scripps’ hiring and payroll procedures.
- COLLECTIONS/CONSERVATION INTERN: plans for this intern include, but are not limited to:
- Working with an art conservator on various projects, including conservation of sculptural reliefs by John Gregory of scenes from Shakespeare’s plays
- Helping to reorganize and clean the Asian Textile collection at Scripps, (after receiving training in how to handle, fold and move textiles)
- Assisting the collection manager with the inventorying and re-housing of prints
- CURATORIAL INTERN: will work with gallery staff to organize an exhibition on Paul Soldner, scheduled for fall 2011. Tasks will include, but not be limited to:
- Researching the work to be displayed
- Writing wall text; the wall text will also be added to the gallery website
- Receive training in digitizing the collection, including color correction, image optimization and general Photoshop skills and digital asset management, including cataloging and best practices
- Help refine the collection of images for art history courses by scanning, cataloging into the visual resources database, checking old records for accuracy, scanning, and preparing images for forthcoming courses;
- Assist with collection maintenance and reorganization
How to Apply
Please send the following to Mary MacNaughton, Director, Williamson Gallery, Scripps College, 1030 Columbia Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711 by 5pm, April 19, 2011:
- transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- names and phone numbers of 3 references
- cover letter describing the academic and work experience that qualify you for the internship
- writing sample of 1,000 words
For more information, please call Colleen Salomon at 909-607-4690 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.